Monday, July 5, 2010

Interview with Erik Johansson | Photo & Retouch







Name: Erik Johansson
Birth Date: 1985 - 04 - 25
Nationality: Swedish
Place of Residence: Göteborg
Profession: Freelance photographer and retoucher

Who is Erik Johansson?
My name is Erik Johansson, I am a freelance photographer from Gothenburg, Sweden. I mostly work with advertisement, but the photos on my web site are personal projects.

When and what made you decide you wanted to become a photographer and how did it all happen?
It started out just like a hobby. I got my first digital camera when I was 15, that is about 10 years ago. I have always been drawing as a way of expressing myself, but with the digital camera I started to modify the photos. It felt like a natural step for me but it was mostly basic stuff of my friends and family. That's how it all started.

Describe your work for someone who has never seen it before.
Surreal ideas realized in a realistic way with a touch of humor sometimes.

How did you start using this technique of retouching your photos?
I've always been interested in modifying photos, I guess reality is just too boring sometimes. For me photography is just a way to gather material. The photo is created in the computer.

Describe the process you use from taking the photo to retouching and creating your final product.
When I have come up with an idea the planing starts. Is this a good idea? Is it possible to realize? What do I need in terms of environment and people? This is actually the hardest part since the more you plan the better the end result will become. When I have found everything I need I take the photos I need and put it together in my computer. I have learned that ideas have to grow and take time, this process from idea to final result is usually between 1 week to several months.

Who is your role model?
There are lots of great photographers and artists that I admire. But I think I get most influence from M.C. Escher and Salvador Dali.

Describe a day in the life of Erik Johansson.
It's very different from day to day. I'm actually not doing much this summer since I just finished my studies. So right now there is a lot of sun and bathing. :-)


Who would you be without your camera/computer?
I would probably realize my ideas by drawing or painting.


What is the most important lesson you have learned?
Trying is the best way of learning.


What's your ultimate goal?
To be the best of what I do.

What bands/singers are you currently listening to?
Portishead, M83, Robyn, Justice

Word or phrase you use too often?
Don't worry, I can fix it in Photoshop :-)

What are your up coming projects/exhibitions/plans?
I'm moving to another part of Sweden in about a month, so I will be quite busy with setting up a studio and making new contacts for the near future. But I would love to do some exhibitions but don't know when or where, lets see.


http://www.alltelleringet.com/