Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Matthew Hawtin | INTERVIEW





Name | Matthew Hawtin
Birth Date | May 6, 1972
Nationality | British and Canadian
Profession | Artist
Place of Residence | Between Berlin, Germany and Windsor, Canada

Who is Matthew Hawtin?
I'd describe myself as a 'creative' because I'm working across artistic disciplines. I'm passionate about what I do, in the studio and everyday life. I can't say it's the easiest life being an artist but if it's in you then you just have to be that person. Besides being creative I'm also very interested in the environment and the health of the planet. I used to think that this concern and being an artist didn't mix but I now realize it's going to take some creative thinking to change how our world works. I'd like to be a part of that change and leave a healthier planet for the future generations.

Describe you work for someone who has never seen it before.
My work comes in different mediums: the visual which explores colour, surface and structure; the musical in the form of DJing and self-composed pieces; and the written thru my journal writing. Each medium may inform one another but it's not a conscious decision to make each connect. I just do what I do and hopefully the work keeps progressing and a few people enjoy what I do.

What is your greatest source of inspiration?
In general terms it is really the world around me; a book I read, a movie, a song, or an experience I've had. It is usually a certain moment that interests me, something that captures a feeling or emotion. It's never a direct translation of the experience, it's usually just keeping an idea with me and letting it percolate while I do other things, then somewhere along the line it will unconsciously emerge into something of my own.

Tell me about Once Again, Again.
It is an encapsulated ambient experience of a certain time in electronic music, a node to the past while looking at the future.

One of the greatest lessons you have learned thus far.
Be patient and honest.

List 5 random facts about yourself.
I'm a bit of a coffee snob.
I rode a 100 mile mountain bike race.
I like cats.
I enjoy a good pop song.
My favourite colour is blue.

Word or phrase you use too often?
Wait and see.

Upcoming plans/projects/exhibitions?
I'm currently working on a new series of paintings that I hope to show next year in the UK and am developing ideas for an original music album.

Volume is...
that dial on a stereo system that you can turn up as loud as you want and enjoy the pleasure of music.


http://www.mhawtin.com/